Many of us are interested in having a healthier lifestyle and eating clean, however, don’t really know where to start? One great way to start your journey to a happier and healthier life is to eat organic. Organic means that there are no herbicides or artificial fertilisers used during manufacturing, as well as lower levels of pesticides and better standards of animal welfare.
Organic food can be purchased from most supermarkets, as well as farmer’s markets and independent merchants. However, if you are a keen gardener, then why not start your own organic fruit and vegetable plot at home? Not only will you save money, but you will also get great satisfaction once your first harvest is ready to enjoy with friends and family.
As we look forward to this month’s Organic September, we have picked out our favourite three healthy recipes for you and your family to enjoy together around your dining table, and to give you a kick-start into the organic way of life.
Organic Potato Salad
Everybody loves potato salad! It’s the perfect accompaniment to go with grilled chicken, tasty fish or even a herby veggie burger, and it is really easy to make. Here’s how:
1kg Organic new potatoes, scrubbed
100ml white wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
5 Free ranged eggs, hardboiled, shelled & chopped
150ml Greek-style yoghurt
150ml crème fraîche
2-3 tbsp chopped gherkins
1 tbsp capers, soaked in cold water for 20 mins, then squeezed dry & chopped
1 tbsp English mustard
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
salt & pepper
- Cook the new potatoes in a pan of boiling hot water, mixed with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkling of rock salt. When they are cooked, remove them from the pan and chop each potato into four equal pieces.
- Mix the white wine vinegar with the olive oil and add some salt and pepper to season.
- Stir all the remaining ingredients together in a bowl until you have created a lovely creamy sauce.
- Mix the creamy sauce with the potatoes, trying not to crush up the potatoes too much.
- Add the vinegar and oil dressing to the mixture and you are ready to serve!
Butternut Squashy Hummus
This is a super-healthy and super-easy recipe, which makes the perfect snack to spread in a pitta bread or to dip your carrot sticks into. Also perfect to put into a tiny pot and add to your kids lunch boxes for a special treat!
1 organic butternut squash
lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp tahini
handful pine nuts, toasted
olive oil to drizzle
salt & pepper
- Roast the butternut squash in a hot oven (200 degrees) for 30 minutes until it is really soft
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the middle, leaving only the skin.
- Mix the squash with the lemon juice, the garlic, tahini and the salt and pepper. Whisk together with a fork until a smooth mixture is formed - this might be better with a hand blender.
- Add the mixture to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on the pine nuts as a finishing touch!
The perfect healthy snack for adults and kids! The ingredients create a yummy, savoury taste that goes perfectly with a chunk of cheese or delicious just on their own. Enjoy around the kitchen table with friends and a coffee, or pack up in your picnic or lunchbox for a nutritious and delicious afternoon treat.
150g rolled oats
175g organic carrots, finely grated
175g cheese, grated
1 free range egg beaten
pinch of mixed dried or fresh herbs
small knob butter
salt & pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Use a large bowl and stir the oats, carrots, grated cheese, beaten egg and herbs all together until well mixed. Using your fingers will ensure that all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
3. Add in the salt and pepper to season the mixture
4. Line a square baking tin - ideally around 20cm - with baking parchment paper
5. Add the mixture to the tin and rub the butter on the top to get a golden brown effect
6. Bake the mixture for 25 minutes in the over until it is set and browned on top