We all know there’s nothing quite like dining alfresco; the midday summer sun, the charming peaceful atmosphere of the garden and a delicate breeze wafting the gorgeous aroma of sizzling steak from the grill in your direction. Couple these with a stylish and relaxing lounge set, perfect for the whole family to unwind on after a beautifully cooked meal, and you have the winning combination for the perfect summer’s day.
Dining outdoors doesn’t have to be a daunting task. There’s no need to miss out on the sunshine and put aside too many hours of prep work in the kitchen, as you can easily create great dishes in under 20 minutes! Below we’ve put together 3 mouth-watering recipes that we recommend for accompanying any barbecue you plan on attending or hosting.
This salad is certainly a barbecue classic side dish.
What you need:
Medium grade bulgur wheat
Roasted red peppers
- Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and add boiling water and leave aside until it’s fully absorbed.
- Take your spring onions, cherry tomatoes, fresh parsley and mint along with your red peppers and chop them each finely. Place them in a bowl and mix well!
- Once the bulgur wheat has absorbed the water, be sure to fluff it so that the grain separates and add it to the other ingredients as you mix.
- Finally, place the mixture in a salad serving dish and drizzle over the lemon juice and olive oil for a delicate dressing.
Another great barbecue tradition and so simple and quick to make. It certainly adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to any outdoor dining table!
What you need:
Vine ripened tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
Optional: balsamic glaze
- Take your tomatoes and mozzarella and cut them into thin slices. Layer them alternatively on a plate in a circle.
- Crack some black pepper and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the top.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the dish.
- Add a few rocket leaves in the middle for a tasty centre piece.
- For that tangy taste, drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top too!
Every alfresco dining experience is better with potato salad, so here’s an excellent recipe to make in under half an hour. This one is a complete crowd pleaser and sure to make everyone happy.
What you need:
Salt and pepper
Fresh snipped chives
- Peel and cut the potatoes and put them in water to boil until cooked.
- Slice the spring onion, and put it into a bowl along with a pinch of caster sugar, salt & pepper.
- Put in a couple of teaspoons of cider vinegar with 4 tablespoons of olive oil. It you want to give the salad a little kick, then add the teaspoon of Dijon mustard. And of course, add in a generous helping of Mayonnaise!
- Once the potatoes have cooked, drain them and add them into the mix and stir heartily.
- Place the salad into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped chives.
So there you have our ideas for the perfect side dishes to accompany any alfresco dining experience. So whether you’re spending the evening barbecuing away with friends or tucked under the gazebo for an intimate dinner for two, you’ll be sure to find the right dish to complement your meal.